Spa Therapy’s Cucumber Cures
Cucumber has to be the coolest summer “vegetable” ( it’s actually a fruit). Its got loads of health & beauty uses. It’s great in salads bringing many nutritional benefits to the plate, but its not only famed for its food uses. Here are just a few reasons why cucumbers are cool:
1. Cucumbers are a great source of water and Vitamin C. Chewing on a cucumber is a fantastic snack food for keeping hydrated without consuming calories and the Vitamin C is an added bonus.
2. Cucumbers contain caffeic acid which is a natural soother of skin irritants. So, if there’s a cucumber packed in your picnic it’s great first aid for minor stings and nettle or grass rash.
3. The chemical makeup of cucumbers also helps reduce swelling which is why slices are often used to cover the eyes as an accompaniment to face masques.
4. The thick skin of a cucumber keeps its watery contents cool. Slicing one length ways and using the baton as an aftersun wand to rub over your body is a great way to cool over exposed skin.
5. Cucumbers are a great accompaniment to a cooling summer bath. To tepid water add a cupful of Epsom salts and a diced or sliced cucumber. The soothing properties of the flesh will mix with your bath water creating a nourishing, night time soak.
6. If you’ve been swimming to cool down this summer, cucumbers make a great conditioner for chlorine damaged hair. Put an egg, a cupful of olive oil and a quarter of a cucumber in a blender. The resulting hair masque can be left on for 10 minutes and the mixture can be stored in the fridge for several days allowing multiple applications
Zen Ten Spa is famed for its fact-filled health hacks. Join our community Zen Ten Spa on facebook for more and check the website for blogs and to book treatments. Any queries contact 07709 101010